As a participant on an Arcadia program, you are guaranteed housing. Our priority is to provide a safe, clean, cost-effective and convenient place for you to live, while offering you every opportunity to explore the local culture and community.
- Most student residences in South Africa feature self-catered, apartment-style living with single or twin bedrooms and shared kitchens, living and bathroom facilities. Single or double room depends on residence assignment.
- Your program fee does not include meals or meal plans but you’ll be within easy reach of food stores and amenities.
- Where possible we will place you with local students. If you want to submit a roommate request, we will need it from both you and your friend in writing. While we will do our best to accommodate your request, we cannot guarantee roommate requests.
- It is very common to live in mixed-gender housing in South Africa. Your room will be single-gender, though shared common spaces can be mixed-gender. If you would prefer single-gender housing, please note this on your Housing Form and be sure to speak with your Program Manager to find out what is available on your program.
- South Africa is an environmentally friendly country and air-conditioning and central heating are not standard in a typical residence. Remember that it will take some time to adjust to the climate.
- You should typically expect a 15-30 minute commute from your housing to your program site.
- You may need to take a university shuttle, or Arcadia University-provided transportation, depending on your program.
- Internet access will vary according to your specific program accommodation.
- Bed linens are provided in all housing. However, towels are NOT provided.
- We will do our best to honor your housing preferences, however we cannot guarantee any specific housing assignments.
- Since housing considerations can vary, we have to reserve our right to change accommodation options at any time.
If you have any special needs regarding your accommodation – dietary, medical, physical – please let us know when applying. Any information received will be treated as confidential and only shared with individuals involved in your housing placement.
Semester I (February to June): December 1
Arcadia University Housing Policy is detailed in our Student Handbook.