You will enroll in courses at Queen Mary University of London and have the option of completing an Internship or Independent Study with Arcadia.
- Please review your courses with your academic or study abroad advisor to ensure they will transfer back to your home school and that you are following your home school’s policies.
- Please be flexible – we can’t guarantee specific courses. If your participation in the program depends on a particular course, be sure to make a note on your online preferences form.
On this program, you may take one course with Arcadia offered through the Arcadia London Center. You may select one of the options below. You are not required to take any Arcadia Courses.
- Internship: Complete an Internship placement arranged by Arcadia and related 4-credit Internship Cornerstone course with Arcadia for academic credit.
- Independent Study: Work with an Arcadia faculty supervisor on a 4-credit semester-long independent research project to produce an original research paper and presentation of your findings.
- Students interested in level 5 and 6 Drama modules must have significant experience in related subjects at the university level.
- Level 5 and 6 English modules are open to English or Arts/Humanities majors only.
- Literature courses are also available in the Languages, Linguistics and Film department.
- Level 4 Economic modules require knowledge of calculus.
- Level 5 and 6 Economics and Finance modules are open to Economics and Finance majors only.
Choosing Your Courses
When completing your Academic Preferences Form:
- Arcadia Courses: Indicate if you are interested in enrolling in an Internship or Independent Study through Arcadia.
- Queen Mary Courses: List at least one alternate course for every course you select, securing approval for at least 8-10 courses per semester.
You may select one of the following course options below.
Internship Placement & Internship Cornerstone Course
You must enroll in the Internship Cornerstone Course if you select an Internship placement.
|LONI INPR 310
||Work in Thought and Action
|LONI STIS 370
||Independent Research - London
Queen Mary University of London Courses
You will enroll in 4 courses at Queen Mary if you do not take an Arcadia course, and 3 courses at Queen Mary if you do take an Arcadia course. The courses available to study abroad students are located on the Queen Mary course catalog.
When searching for courses, you must filter so that the “Associates” option reads “yes.” It is also important to pay attention to course levels:
- Level 4 / First Year - Introductory, No background required
- Level 5 / Second Year - Sophomore and Junior level. Some background, plus relevant pre-requisites
- Level 6 / Final Year - Senior, Advanced. 5-6 prior courses in the subject, plus relevant pre-requisites
- Level 7 - Graduate level; you cannot take these.
|Queen Mary Course Unit Values
||U.S. Credit Equivalent
||4 U.S. credits
||8 U.S. credits
||16 U.S. credits
Most courses at Queen Mary are worth 4 U.S. credits (15 Queen Mary credits).
Some intensive Drama, Film Studies and Engineering classes are worth 8 U.S. credits each (30 Queen Mary credits).
The Queen Mary academic year is divided into two 12-week terms followed by a 6-week term during which examinations take place.
- Semester 1 = fall semester
- Semester 2 = spring semester
- Single semester students cannot take half of a full-year course; however, some full-year courses offer a fall or spring version with a separate course code.
Arcadia Courses: You will automatically be enrolled in the Internship or Internship Study course.
Queen Mary Courses:
- In late spring or mid-autumn, your Program Manager will email with course pre-registration instructions.
- Look out for this email and act immediately when you receive it.
- Course selections are on a first-come, first served basis.
- Departments like English and Drama, Economics, History and Biological Sciences fill up extremely quickly.
The following information is vetted and provided by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) on the Electronic Database for Global Education (EDGE).
|70 - 100%
|60 - 69%
||Second Class Upper
|50 - 59%
||Second Class Lower
|40 - 49%
||Third Class / Pass
|0 - 39%
Intellectual property copyright AACRAO EDGE.