Arcadia University attempts to make your travel overseas as easy and affordable as possible. All students are responsible for arranging and purchasing their own flights. All students are required to be in attendance for the entirety of their Arcadia orientation, which begins on the posted program arrival date.
Passport and Visa
If you do not have a passport, you must apply for one immediately. Your passport must be valid for six months from the end of your program, otherwise you will need to renew your passport.
All U.S. citizens will need to enter via the Short Term Student Route upon entry into the U.K. You will receive immigration documents for this process approximately 2 weeks prior to your departure.
Students who do not have a U.S. passport may need to apply for a Short-Term Study Visa in advance. You should work with your Program Manager if this applies to you. In applicable instances, we will alert you when you need to begin the process of applying for the visa. Arcadia will also provide you with some of the necessary documents. It is important that you do not start applying for your visa until we prompt you.
When Can I Arrive in England?
Students studying for 6 months or less who enter via the Short Term Student Route will be permitted a total stay of 6 months in the United Kingdom. You are able to arrive early to the U.K. and/or stay in the U.K. after your program concludes as long as your total time in the U.K. does not exceed 6 months.
Please note: Do not book a flight that connects through the Republic of Ireland. You will not be able to obtain proper immigration clearances if you travel to the United Kingdom through the Republic of Ireland. Failure to secure the proper passport stamp may affect your ability to remain in-country for the duration of your time abroad.
What to Expect When I Arrive in England
When booking your flight, please keep the following in mind:
- Students who arrive at London Heathrow airport by 11:00 am on the scheduled arrival date will be eligible for group transportation from the airport to their orientation accommodation. For most trans-Atlantic flights, this means that you will need to depart the US the evening before. Transportation will depart Heathrow airport at various times throughout the morning. Final transportation will depart at 12:30 pm.
- All students are expected to check into their housing no later than 3:00 pm on the program start date.
- Attendance is mandatory for your local orientation in London.
- Students are responsible for arranging transportation to the airport at the conclusion of the program.
- Please review all of the rules and regulations that apply to your ticket prior to purchase.
- If you choose to arrive early, all transportation and accommodation arrangements will be your responsibility until the scheduled arrival date for your program. Similarly, accommodation costs will be your responsibility should you choose to stay in England after the program concludes.
- In the event that your flight arrival is delayed past 11:00 am, or you do not arrive at London Heathrow airport on your scheduled arrival date, or if you miss the group transportation for any reason, you will need to proceed to your orientation accommodation independently and at your own expense.
- Our staff will provide you with detailed arrival instructions for this purpose.
- Once you have made your flight booking, you are required to complete the online Flight Form in the Arcadia Application Portal.
Booking Your Travel
- We recommend shopping around to find the best deal to London Heathrow Airport. This includes checking with your travel agent, online search engines, and airline websites.