Will I get the courses that I initially requested?

There is no guarantee you will get the specific courses that you requested. Because every program is different, course approval and registration processes vary. Please see your program page details.

Are there scholarships I could apply for?

Yes. Please see our Scholarships & Financial aid page for New Zealand.

I've received my passport back from the Embassy/Consulate. Where is the visa?

The visa is affixed inside the passport, on one of the pages behind the identity page. If you have thoroughly searched your passport and there is no New Zealand visa (it will have your name, host university in New Zealand, and the dates the visa is valid), please contact the Embassy/Consulate immediately.

Am I able to work in New Zealand?

No. Government policy only allows students who are on a course of study of two years or more to work (and even then only part-time).  Those two years of study must be in New Zealand so study abroad students are not eligible to work while studying in New Zealand.

What about insurance?

Students participating on Arcadia programs in New Zealand are covered by insurance policies that are selected by the New Zealand universities. The New Zealand government requires that all international students be covered by a health and travel insurance policy that meets their levels of coverage in several areas. We incorporate into our program fee the cost of the coverage which the New Zealand universities have chosen.

The insurance provided for you includes some travel, baggage and personal items coverage. It does not provide coverage if you travel outside of NZ during your semester break.


What's the weather like?

The weather in New Zealand is extremely changeable. You will sometimes experience four seasons in one day, so it's advisable always to keep an extra piece of clothing close at hand—even on a sunny day. There is rarely snow in winter—except in the alpine areas—but winter can be cold, windy, wet and dreary. New Zealand's seasons are opposite of those in the United States. Summer in New Zealand is from December to February. Autumn lasts from March to May. Winter is from June to August. Spring spans September through November.

How can I phone home?

There are several options you may wish to consider for keeping in touch with friends and family back home.

  • Host-country mobile—Our staff will talk to you about the benefits of buying a mobile phone after arriving in New Zealand – it helps you integrate and while it should be cheap for in-country texts/calls it is usually not the cheapest way to call the US.
  • International cell phone—many US cellular phone companies provide international roaming options, so you can keep your same number and contact your friends and family just as if you were home. However this is expensive for your calls and texts to/from New Zealand phones so contact your provider for full details.
  • Skype, FaceTime or VOiP— Teach your mom to Skype! Sign-up online for free internet communication tools before you leave and plan ahead about when to connect. Please remember that internet access, reliability, and strength may be different to what you are used to.
  • International calling card—often the most inexpensive and manageable way to call home – purchase either before departing or in-country.

Will my credits transfer back home?

Only your home college can answer this question, so be sure and safe – ask now, and obtain all the approvals you'll need.  For more information regarding credit transfer policies, please visit the "Credits/Grades/Transcripts" section of our website.

Should I make copies of my papers?

Yes. Many home colleges want to review the work you completed overseas before final credit is awarded. Unless you make specific arrangements with your tutors prior to departure, final exams and/or papers will not be returned to you. It is important to keep copies, therefore, of your papers, reading lists and syllabi from all of your courses.

The Visa application process includes several different fees. Which fees apply to me?

All students need to pay the Visa Application Center (VAC) Service Fee as well as a Courier charge (in order to get your passport and visa mailed back to you). These fees must be paid by credit card using the VAC Service & Return Courier Fee Form. Please be advised that the New Zealand Government reserves the right to alter fees at any time.

How much money will I need initially?

About $200 already exchanged to New Zealand Dollars for meals and basic expenses during the orientation. Take an ATM card that's linked to your U.S. primary checking account.

Do I need a visa?

It depends on your length of stay and your country of origin. Find out more.

What happens when I arrive overseas?

There will be plenty of signs with instructions when you arrive at your airline terminal. Follow the ones that say "Arrivals" and you will eventually get into a line for non-residents. Once you reach immigration control officials, you will show your passport (which contains your visa), landing card and certification letter. Officials may ask a few questions, but nothing daunting.

After the official stamps your passport, you'll head for the baggage claim carousel. Check on the overhead monitors to see where your plane's baggage has been unloaded.

Finally, you'll move on to customs. At customs, you'll head for the "nothing to declare" channel unless you are carrying goods that exceed the duty free limit.

IMPORTANT: New Zealand's economy is very dependent on agricultural and horticultural produce, thus it's extremely important that harmful insects and diseases are not inadvertently brought into the country. As a precautionary measure, you may be approached by an officer with a sniffer dog and required to complete a form asking you to declare any foodstuffs and/or plant/animal products you may be carrying and any recent contact with farm animals. Generally, you can bring in commercially packaged confectionery, but it is advisable to come with as little as possible.

What time zone is New Zealand?

New Zealand is located just west of the international dateline. Daylight savings time starts the first weekend in October and ends in mid-March. Thus, it is 16 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time from mid-March - September and 18 hours ahead from October-mid-March.

An excellent resource for determining the time in different areas of the world is The Time Now.

Should I take my computer?

Some students choose to bring personal laptops for convenience. The majority of modern laptops are dual voltage and will work in New Zealand with only an adapter plug. All housing is equipped with WiFi. Make sure that your laptop is insured.

Can I still vote while abroad?

Before you leave home, check with the Board of Elections at your County Court House about procedures for voting by absentee ballot. You may want to arrange for a member of your family to pick up the ballot and mail it to you. Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program for more details.

When will I receive my Arcadia University transcript?

We will send an official copy of your transcript to your home school and an unofficial copy to you, once we have received your official transcript from your Australian university. Most transcripts are issued within three months of the end date of the program.

Your transcript will be withheld by Arcadia University if you have an outstanding balance on your account resulting from nonpayment of the program fee (in whole or in part) or special course surcharges, any late fees or returned check fees, damage charges, library fines, or other unmet financial obligations as deemed appropriate by Arcadia University.

What should I pack?

Whatever you bring, you carry in two checked luggage bags and one carry-on bag. Be prepared to move your luggage through airports, on and off busses during orientation, and up several flights of stairs to your room.  Here are some tips:

The Leave Half Behind Rule – Select what you think you’ll need and leave half of it behind. Nobody ever complains about having too little luggage. Layering – with such a changeable climate layer your clothes from warm to cold so you can change them up easily. Include a rain jacket. Use Duffel Bags - with wheels or an internal framed backpack. Closet space will not be as generous as what you are used to, so even if you can get it there, you won't necessarily know where to put it. Be versatile - Student rooms are normally equipped with only a foot and a half of hanging space and two, three-foot bureau drawers or the equivalent shelf space, and emptied luggage is usually stored under beds. Go for multi-purpose clothing.

Do I need a passport?

YES! Please visit the U.S. State Department travel pages for the most up-to-date information regarding passport application and fees. Make sure that your passport is valid at least six months beyond your program end date.