Maynooth University Courses
A full course load per semester is typically five or six courses for about 15 American credits.
- Please review your courses with your academic or study abroad advisor to ensure they will transfer back to your home school and that you are following your home school’s policies.
- Please be flexible – we can’t guarantee specific courses. If your participation in the program depends on a particular course, be sure to make a note on your online course form.
- Please indicate 7-10 courses, including alternates, on your academic preferences form that you are pre-approved for and can take while abroad. In the event of scheduling changes, time conflicts, prerequisites or cancellations, this ensures that you will be prepared to finalize your courses once overseas.
Level 300 courses tend to be for upper year students and many carry pre-requisites.
In Ireland, the word for class or course is module.
Choosing Your Courses
||Introducing Irish Cultural Heritage
View all classes at Maynooth University through their online course catalog, and click on the department/subject.
- Semester of Study:
- Semester 1 = Fall
- Semester 2 = Spring
- Course Level:
- Most classes are 100, 200 or 300 level.
- Some departments use 000 level.
- 000 and 100 level courses are introductory level.
- 600 to 800 level classes are postgraduate.
Enrollment takes place online during a 3-day window about which your Program Manager will advise you. There is an add/drop period at the beginning of each semester in country that allows students to make changes to course enrollments.
The following information is vetted and provided by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) on the Electronic Database for Global Education (EDGE).
||Suggested U.S. Equivalent
|70 – 100%
||First Class Honours
|60 – 69%
||Second Class Honours Upper
|50 – 59%
||Second Class Honours Lower
|45 – 49%
||Third Class Honours
|40 – 44%
|0 – 39%
Intellectual property copyright AACRAO EDGE.