SUISS students have the choice of residing in the Pollock Halls of Residence or residing in Self-Catered Student Flats.
The Pollock Halls of Residence are located half a mile (15-minute walk) from the center of the University of Edinburgh. You will have a single or twin bedroom with a wash basin in your room. All 12 halls share a dining hall, computer lab and student bar. Smoking is not permitted in any of the rooms at Pollock Halls. Most SUISS students will live together, sharing bath/shower facilities at a ratio of one bathroom per six bedrooms. For an extra fee per term and pending availability, students with special needs can request en-suite housing, which has private bath/shower facilities in each bedroom. As you read through the information below, please also review the general Scotland housing information.
- Each bedroom is equipped with a telephone and data point for internet access.
- Pollock Halls sit at the foot of Arthur's Seat and at the edge of Holyrood Park. The Royal Commonwealth facilities, which house a 50-meter swimming pool with diving facilities, saunas and solariums, are next door to the Halls and open to the public.
- The program fee covers breakfast and dinner from Monday to Sunday and lunch from Monday to Friday.
- Duvet covers, pillow cases, and linens are provided. You must bring your own towels. The rooms will be serviced daily but students will be responsible for making their own beds. A laundering service is not provided (apart from the change of sheets every 4 days), but there are washing, drying and ironing facilities available for a small charge.
Self Catered Housing
The University controls several blocks of student flats designed for student living. Some are located between Pollock Halls of Residence and the central campus at George Square. The flats usually house five people and are mixed gender. All bedrooms are single study rooms (w/ bed, desk and bureau). Utilities (heat/electric) are included in the rent or housing fee you pay to Arcadia. You are individually responsible for the payment of phone bills. Cooking, dining and bathroom facilities are shared. Residents of self-catered flats should consider the following:
- You cook your own breakfast and dinner. The University of Edinburgh offers a bedding pack containing a duvet, bed linen and pillow. You must supply your own towels.
- Flat locations can be anywhere from a 10-minute walk to a 25-minute walk to the University area of George Square. It will be listed on the housing form as Self-Catered.
- Laundry facilities are available.
- The Accommodation Services at Edinburgh provides ResNet in all campus housing. There is a phone in each bedroom, with voicemail and free calls to any other ResNet-equipped room. The phone will also provide normal call facilities to non-ResNet numbers at standard rates. ResNet also provides connection facilities for restricted 24-hour access to the university intranet, together with 24-hour access to the internet.