A full course load is typically three courses for 15 American credits.
- Please review your courses with your academic or study abroad advisor to ensure they will transfer back to your home school and that you are following your home school’s policies.
- Please be flexible – we can’t guarantee specific courses. If your participation in the program depends on a particular course, be sure to make a note on your online course form.
- Please indicate 7-10 courses, including alternates, on your preliminary course form that you are pre-approved for and can take while abroad. In the event of scheduling changes, time conflicts, prerequisites or cancellations, this ensures that you will be prepared to finalize your courses once overseas.
Course codes starting with a:
- 1 = Level 1
- 2 = Level 2
- 3 = Level 3
- For example, HIS1003 is a Level 1 course.
- You cannot select classes that start with a number higher than 3.
Film Studies Department will only accept students who have some background in Film Studies.
English Department only accepts students with some background in English, especially in their creative writing modules.
In Northern Ireland, the word for class or course is module.
Choosing Your Courses
All students must take 60 CATS credits per semester, equal to 15 American credits.
- 1 Queen’s course (20 CATS credits) = 5 American credits
- 1 Queen’s half course (10 CATS credits) = 2.5 American credits
The Queen’s course catalog:
- Will automatically list the departments available.
- Confirm that you are viewing the Queen’s courses by checking the institution drop-down menu found at the top of the Catalog.
- Scroll through the list of departments.
- View all departments by clicking expand all.
- Click on the department link.
- Select either the course code or title.
- View timetables by selecting "view class sections."
- Courses are labeled autumn semester, spring semester, or full year.
Official course registration will take place upon arrival at Queen’s.
The online course form students submit to Arcadia prior to departure does not guarantee approval or enrollment in those courses. There is a drop/add period at the beginning of each semester that allows students to make changes to course enrollments. If you make any changes, it is your responsibility to inform your home institution.
There is a surcharge that is assessed by Queen’s for coursework completed in the sciences. This surcharge will be added to your account after you register for courses at Queen’s.
The following information is vetted and provided by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) on the Electronic Database for Global Education (EDGE).
|70 - 100%
|60 - 69%
|50 - 59%
|40 - 49%
|0 - 39%
Intellectual property copyright AACRAO EDGE.