A typical course load is 4 classes per semester.
- Please review your courses with your academic or study abroad advisor to ensure they will transfer back to your home school and that you are following your home school’s policies.
- Please be flexible – we can’t guarantee specific courses. If your participation in the program depends on a particular course, be sure to make a note on your online course form.
The SOAS academic year is divided into two 12-week terms followed by a 6-week term during which examinations take place.
- Autumn or Spring Semester students: 2 units, or 16 U.S. credits.
- Academic Year students: 4 units, or 32 U.S. credits.
- Overloading is not permitted.
- Language classes at SOAS are offered as full-year, 1.0 unit courses.
- Courses are open to fall semester students.
- Spring semester students will only be admitted to language classes if they can demonstrate prior knowledge of the language (equivalent to the fall semester half of the class).
- You will take a placement exam on arrival.
Choosing Your Courses
Review the SOAS courses available to study abroad students.
- Most courses are full-year courses.
- As a single-semester student, it is possible to take either the fall or the spring half of a course if you meet the prerequisites.
- Most single-semester courses: 0.5 credits or 4 U.S. credits.
When choosing courses, it is important to pay attention to course levels:
- Year 1 Courses - Introductory, No background required
- Year 2 Courses - Sophomore and Junior level. Will need some background, plus satisfy relevant pre-requisites
- Year 3 Courses - Senior, Advanced. Will need significant prior knowledge (at least 5-6 prior courses in the subject, plus satisfy relevant pre-requisites).
|SOAS Course Unit Values
||U.S. Credit Equivalent
||4 U.S. credits
||8 U.S. credits
||16 U.S. credits
- Make sure to list at least one alternate course for every course you select, totaling at least 8-10 courses. List your courses in order of preference.
- SOAS does not pre-register any students for classes.
- Both study abroad and degree students finalize their class schedules upon arrival.
Grade Scale for the United Kingdom - AACRAO EDGE
The following information is vetted and provided by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) on the Electronic Database for Global Education (EDGE).
|70 - 100%
|60 - 69%
||Second Class Upper
|50 - 59%
||Second Class Lower
|40 - 49%
||Third Class / Pass
|0 - 39%
Intellectual property copyright AACRAO EDGE.