As a participant on an Arcadia program, you are guaranteed housing. Our priority is to provide a safe, clean, cost-effective and convenient place for you to live, while offering you every opportunity to explore the local culture and community. The information provided on this page is general. In all cases, contact your Program Advisor for specifics related to your program.
Commonly Used Terms
- single = you will have your own bedroom
- twin = you will have a shared room
- en-suite = you will have your own bathroom
- self-catered = you will not have a meal plan
- Room Style: Most student residences in England feature apartment-style living with single or twin bedrooms and shared kitchens, living and bathroom facilities.
- Meal Plans: Most programs only have self-catered housing, which means they do not offer meal plans. You will be responsible for purchasing your own groceries and preparing your own meals, and student housing is within easy distance of grocery stores and other amenities. Read our Estimate of Additional Expenses for each semester, under More Info.
- Roommates: Where possible, we will place you with local students. If you want to submit a roommate request, we will need it from both you and your friend in writing. While we will do our best to accommodate your request, we cannot guarantee roommate requests and not every program allows for them.
- Mixed Genders: It is very common to live in mixed-gender housing in England. Your room will be single-gender, though shared common spaces can be mixed-gender. If you would prefer single-gender housing, please note this on your Housing Preferences Form and speak with your Program Advisor.
- Internet: Access will vary according to your specific program accommodation.
- Linens: Your Program Advisor can provide specifics about whether sheets and towels are provided. If they are not, we recommend that you do not bring them with you and instead purchase them when you arrive in London—you will have time to do so during your Arcadia orientation.
- Homestays: Weekend homestay options are available in rural, suburban and urban communities. No two homestays are the same but you can be sure yours will deepen your understanding of the surrounding culture and community. You will learn more about this opportunity during your Arcadia orientation.
- Breaks: You’ll have your accommodation throughout your term/semester, including breaks during the term/semester.* Depending on your program and housing assignment, accommodation may be available between semesters for academic year students; please check with your Program Advisor for further information.
- *Housing availability between each of the three terms at University of Oxford varies by college.
We encourage you to take advantage of the accommodation provided by Arcadia or by your British institution. If you intend to opt-out of Arcadia provided housing, you will be responsible for finding your own housing for the duration of your program and securing any approval from your home school.
Students who have – or who are confident they will be able to secure – independent housing throughout their program must notify their Arcadia program advisor of this decision. Students who intend to exercise this option must submit the independent housing waiver to decline program-arranged accommodation before your program-specific housing deadline or the deadlines listed in the Housing Refund Policy on our Refunds and Withdrawal Policies (whichever is earlier). Failure to properly complete this process may result in being charged the full program housing fee.
If you have any special needs regarding your accommodation – dietary, medical, physical – please let us know when applying. Any information received will be treated as confidential and only shared with individuals involved in your housing placement. Students with serious health concerns should notify their Program Advisor during the application process and indicate any space needs on their housing preference form.
Very Important Additional Points
- We will do our best to honor your housing preferences, however, we cannot guarantee any specific housing assignments.
- Since housing considerations can vary, we reserve our right to change accommodation options at any time.
- Specific program housing details are outlined on each program page.
- Arcadia University Housing Policy is detailed in our Student Handbook.