You will need to submit a portfolio of 15-20 color slides or a CD of recent work. This will be reviewed by a specific department for admittance into that department. You will earn 12.5 credit hours for the fall: 10 studio credits and 2.5 Historical and Critical Studies (H&C) credits. The spring semester is in two terms and will earn 17.5 credits: this includes 15 studio credits and 2.5 Historical and Critical Studies credits. Please note, if you are enrolled in the School of Design, you will take an additional class, Design Domain for 2.5 credits and the studio credits are reduced to 7.5 credits for the Fall and 12.5 credits for the Spring.
- Make sure your credits transfer back for credit with your home school – this is your responsibility.
- Please be flexible about courses – we can’t guarantee placement in specific courses.
- Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form to The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University.
School of Fine Art
|Academic Year (AY)
||30 (25 Studio, 5 H&C)
||12.5 (10 Studio, 2.5 H&C)
||17.5 (15 Studio, 2.5 H&C)
School of Design
|Academic Year (AY)
||30 (20 Studio, 5 H&C, 5 Design Domain)
||12.5 (7.5 Studio, 2.5 H&C, 2.5 Design Domain)
||17.5 (12.5 Studio, 2.5 H&C, 2.5 Design Domain)
Areas of Concentration
A list of departments/areas of concentration available to study abroad students at GSA can be found on their website:
- The GSA does not offer courses in the traditional sense. You will instead apply to a specific department, such as Painting, Illustration, etc., and a committee at GSA will review your application and portfolio for admittance into that department.
- The majority of students spend 26 to 32 hours per week in the studio. Historical and Critical Studies (H & C) courses are also an essential component of all undergraduate programs in the Schools of Design and Fine Art; however, they are not a part of the Architecture program. These courses average between four and eight hours per week. Private study time is additional.
- Upon acceptance, you will be assigned a focus area and year of study, and you will complete projects solely in that particular area.
- Cross-registration is not allowed among different subject areas and you cannot take classes in multiple departments (for example, photography and sculpture).
- Year 1 is considered equivalent to a Sophomore level course, Year 2 a Junior level, and Year 3 a Junior/Senior level. Year 4 studies are not available for study abroad students since they require all three years of prior attendance at the GSA.
Making Your Course Selections
Submit the online course registration form to the Arcadia University College of Global Studies through your Arcadia Passport.
List all course choices and alternates in order of preference (i.e. Fine Art - Photography, Painting and Printmaking, etc.). Enter "GSAXXXX" as the course code for all areas.