As you board the plane in the U.S., leaving behind the comforts of home, family and friends for your new adventure in South Africa, be confident that we’ve got you covered pre-departure through to arrival and beyond.
This way for Arcadia students!
You’ll easily spot the friendly Arcadia staff in Arcadia t-shirts waiting for you in the airport arrivals hall. Transport will be waiting to take you into Cape Town for an orientation program usually lasting three – four days.
- This well-structured, comprehensive orientation delivered by our staff, covers all essential information you’ll need to find your feet in South Africa.
- Sessions include: health & safety issues, local transport information, academic adjustment, budgeting, suggestions for meeting new friends, and an introduction to local cultures and traditions.
- We will help you explore the city of Cape Town with visits to Bo-Kaap the Malay Quarter, District Six, Table Mountain, and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. The Arcadia staff will explain the transport system and unique features of the city's geography and neighborhoods. There will be afternoon outings to the Kirstenbosch gardens and evening trips to hear jazz or experiment with the local cuisine.
- Orientation will end with an overnight adventure away from Cape Town to the Cedarburg Mountains, up the West Coast to Saldanha Bay, or out to the Elgin Valley. It may include activities such as looking for jackass penguins or Southern Right Whales. Hiking the mountains in search of cave paintings or taking a pony trek will give you a chance to scratch the surface of the beauty and wilderness surrounding Cape Town and Stellenbosch.
- Orientation is evaluated by students and every semester we review content and delivery with student input in mind.