We try to make your travel overseas as easy and affordable as possible. Please note that you must physically attend all of your Arcadia orientation, which begins on the posted program arrival date. To get yourself there on-time, you’ll have many travel aspects to consider, including obtaining your Visa.
- You should book your flight into Edinburgh or Glasgow Airport as listed on your specific Program Dates page. Check in with your Program Manager if you are unsure where to arrive. Arcadia staff will be at the airport to greet any students arriving by noon and provide you with funds to transport you to the orientation accommodation by bus or taxi.
- You should plan to arrive at the airport by 12:00 noon on the scheduled arrival date.
- Arcadia staff will be at the airport to greet any students arriving by noon and provide you with funds to transport you to the orientation accommodation by bus or taxi. Anyone arriving after 12:00 noon will be responsible for making their own way to the orientation hotel.
- You’ll have to check in to orientation by 3:00 pm on the program start date. Once completed, we will provide you with transportation to your host institution. (Please note that arrival details for some programs, particularly the Stirling International Summer School, can differ. Your program manager will inform you of the arrangements for your program.)
- Don’t forget to complete the Online Flight Form once you have booked.
- If you choose to arrive early, all accommodation arrangements will be your responsibility until the scheduled arrival date for your program. Similarly, transportation and accommodation costs will be your responsibility should you choose to stay in Scotland after the program concludes.
Booking your flight
You are responsible for arranging and purchasing your own flight. Please Note: Do not book a flight that connects through the Republic of Ireland, as this will prevent you from obtaining proper immigration clearances. If you want to travel before or after your program dates please check your visa requirements.
We do not arrange group flights but we recommend you book through our travel provider: Student Universe to avail of discounted student fares on designated group flights, on suggested available flights, or on individual student bookings. In addition, Student Universe staff are very familiar with our programs and offer date change flexibility. To book your travel, please visit Student Universe/Arcadia and choose your appropriate country and program.
Vacation Travel Tips
- Wait until you are in-country to make travel plans for during your program so you know your class schedule and assessment dates.
- Choose a good guidebook such as those from Lets Go or Lonely Planet. You can also check online sources, maps and street views for country background, attractions, locally filmed movies, local author books to read etc.
- Research rail passes and student discount opportunities that will save you a lot of money on transport in Britain and Europe and entry fees. Eg. BritRail Pass, BritRail Youth Pass, Eurailpass. Some such passes must be purchased in the U.S. and can be insured.
- Join the Youth Hostel Association in the U.S. – Youth Hostels are inexpensive and fun student accommodation found around the world: For more visit: Hostelling International USA.
- Check out our FAQs for more tips on what to pack.