Past Placement Examples for Athens Internships
The diversity of possible internship placements range from an international school to socially responsible organizations to media and businesses and International non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Talk to your program manager about the type of placement you'd like to explore. Here are some sample placements that worked very well for past students:
- International Alliance of Women (IAW) – Placement in the office of Joanna Manganara, former Minister-Counselor for human rights at the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the current President of IAW, an international NGO comprising 41 member organizations involved in the promotion of women’s human rights globally.
- Munting Nayon Cultural School – This day care school provides early childhood education to preschool children from a variety of migrant nationalities, helping them to integrate into Greek society. You'll assist staff, and teach English to the children.
- Athens Insider Magazine – The only English language lifestyle magazine published monthly in Athens. The magazine caters to the international community and business and leisure travelers in and around Greece.
- Doctors of the World – Médecins du Monde is an international medical humanitarian non-governmental organization that provides emergency medical care to victims of natural disasters, war and conflicts. In Athens, the Greek branch of Médecins du Monde, Γιατροί του Κόσμου, run a polyclinic and a center for refugees.
- Caritas-Hellas (NGO) – An international non-governmental service organization of the Catholic Church with branches in more than 100 countries worldwide. Caritas-Hellas offers social and legal support, and distributes clothing to those in need as well as offering classes in English as a second language.
- Library and Archives of the British School – The Penrose Library supports research on Greece from antiquity to the modern period. Its Archive preserves material from archaeological excavations conducted by the British School in Greece, the Pendlebury collection and the Weir, Schultz, Barnsley Collection of glass plate and silver nitrate photographs of drawings and images of Byzantine churches, many of which no longer exist.
- The Therapeutic Riding Association of Greece – More than 300 children and adults with special needs have taken part in the programs offered at the Therapeutic Riding Center which include horseback riding as a sport, training in therapeutic horseback riding and general skills in horsemanship including jumping and dressage.
- The Sea Turtle Protection Society of Greece – Since 1983, the primary objective of ARCHELON, the Sea Turtle Protection Society of Greece, has been to protect the loggerhead turtle (Caretta caretta) and its habitats in Greece through monitoring and research, raising public awareness and rehabilitating injured turtles.
- Institute of Economic Relations – This organization conducts research on the most significant contemporary issues in international economy paying special attention to the international economic relations of Greece.