Sitges: International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia
Every year, since 1968, the International Fantastic Film Festival takes place in the beautiful village of Sitges in early October.
This year's event started on October 3rd. It will last a total of 11 days and will gather the big film creators to the Sitges area. Millions of fans will stay also in the same village or nearby Sitges and Barcelona.
Today, it is one of the world’s foremost international festivals specializing in fantasy and horror films. Sitges will be the best opportunity for movie lovers and audiences eager to come into contact with new techniques and technologies applied to film and the audiovisual world.
The main venue of the Sitges Film Festival is the Auditori but also there are El Prado, El Retiro and Sala Tramuntana where the entire film festival will take place. The festival contains 171 films, and they will be broadcasted for 355 sessions all along the 11 days that take place. These films will be broadcasted in different schedules to be available for most of the public.
To facilitate your decision on how to schedule your days, we have selected 10 dates for you. They are just a recommendation:
- October 12th Sam Neill will receive the Grand Prize of Honor. He is a British-New Zealand actor, writer, producer, and director. You may remember him in Jurassic Park as the main actor.
- “Ventajas de viajar en tren”, Aritz Moreno directs the movie about a debutant. This film welcomes a vary of famous Spanish actors like Pilar Castro, Belén Cuesta, Luís Tosar, Quim Gutiérrez, Ernesto Alterio and a funny Javier Botet.
- Cinema Documentaries. Sitges Festival always leaves a place for this kind of session. Documentaries that are connected to movies. Some of them: “Sesión Salvaje”, “Making Waves: The Art of Cinematic Sound” by 2 directors who are women, and “Memory, the Origins of Alien” by the mythic Ridley Scott.
- “Bacurau” is a film that attracted the Cannes jury's attention and won the jury award. Now is another attraction at the Sitges Festival.
- Asia Argento is an Italian actress and director who was awarded an Honor Award on the 6th of October.
- Pupi Avati, is one of the directors, scriptwriters and Italian producers that has also been awarded in this 52nd edition of Sitges. He is well known as one of the best fantasy and terror European filmmakers.
- The closing ceremony will be with “El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie” with Jesse Pinkman played by Aaron Paul.
- Hideo Nakata is coming back with “Sadako”. He is the Japanese horror filmmaker that made the “Ring”, “Ring 2” and “Dark Water”.
- “Zombi Child” is a film that occurs in France, at an elite school where one student reveals a family secret. Film of zombies.
- “Paradise Films”, is a Spanish film that takes place in an unclear rehabilitation center.
And for further information, you can have a look at the official web site clicking this link. I hope you will enjoy this excellent event and more for those who love cinema.