For many students, studying abroad means to leave the US for the first time and adapt to a new culture. It is not an easy decision and, sometimes, we have too much information and references which make our decision even harder. Where should I go? For how long?
If you speak Spanish, you may be wondering which country will be the best to learn our language. Did you know that Spanish is officially spoken in more than 20 countries around the world including Equatorial Guinea? Did you know that it is also spoken in other territories like Belize, the Philippines or Western Sahara?
The Arcadia University’s College of Global Studies offers a wide range of locations where students can have a great experience abroad. For Spanish, we have five different centers in three countries: Chile, Cuba, and Spain.
Our Chilean program gives you a unique opportunity to spend your summer studying in Latin America. You can learn Spanish in the Pontifical Catholic University of Valparaíso, one of the best Latin American universities.
Our Cuban program offers you a unique experience in one of the safest and kindest countries whose climate, culture, music and traditions bring thousands of visitors yearly. Arcadia has been bringing students to Cuba for summer study abroad programs since 2012, in academic collaboration with the prestigious University of Havana and its Center for Hemispheric and U.S. Studies.
If you want to learn Spanish in Europe, Spain is your final destination! We have three different programs offering a wide range of academic activities, excursions, and experiences. If you want to explore globalization from a European perspective, Arcadia in Barcelona is for you. If you want to strengthen your knowledge of Spanish language and culture in a medieval city, our Toledo program is the best option for you.
So, are there any other programs? Yes! If you want to experience Spain and its multi-faceted culture while improving your Spanish language both inside and outside the classroom, Arcadia in Granada is for you.
It is good to know that you have a program there, but why should I choose it?
10 Reasons to choose the Arcadia in Granada program
- Perfect location and weather. Granada is strategically located in Southern Spain. You can go hiking in the mountains and swim in the Mediterranean Sea in the same day. The Sierra Nevada mountains and the Tropical Coast are both at a 30-minute ride from Granada by bus or car. Only two provinces in Spain offer you this and Granada is the only one where sunny days are the rule. Moreover, we have the Granada and Malaga Airports with more than 10 different destinations in Europe (Barcelona, London, Madrid, Melilla, Milan, Naples, Palma, Paris, or Berlin).
- Multicultural city. Culture, respect, and plurality go hand in hand in Granada. We are very proud of our history and background. We would not be who we are today without our Iberian, Roman, Visigoth, Arab, or Catholic origins. Cultures always add something to our past, our present, and our future. As we say, it is not replacing but sharing who we are and what we have. Nowadays, Granada is also known as a college city. In fact, it is the first Erasmus+ destination in Europe.
- Student life. Most students say that Granada is different. Socializing is part of our DNA and culture. Being a student in Granada means that you can learn Spanish both in class and in your daily life. What can you do here? The first thing you have to do is to have some tapas. You can get free food when ordering a drink and share it with your friends. It is the best way to spend some time and have dinner. Our city also offers many festivals, cultural activities, and sport competitions every month. Granada is also the province with more towns and villages in Spain, which offers you the opportunity to visit different places that are not far away from your homestay or apartment. Moreover, if you like partying and nightlife, this city never sleeps…
- Academic excellence. The Center of Modern Languages, where you will have your classes, is part of the University of Granada, which was founded in 1531. This public university has been recognized as one of the top 10 universities in Spain, not only on academic programs, but also on research. The Schools of Medicine, Health Sciences, and Translation are among the best in the country, with tough access requirements due to their top quality and international renown. You can also take other courses at the UGR or affiliated centers and get ECTS credits, which may be recognized by your home university.
- Spanish. If you do like learning other languages, Granada is the best place to do it. It is true that Spanish is spoken in many countries and regions, but we have some advantages. The main one is that our Spanish is not what we call ‘standard Spanish’. In Andalusia, we have a special accent in each city and it is true that some people do not understand us because we speak very fast, our pronunciation is slightly different, and we use some words that are not understood in other parts of Spain or Latin America. However, we consider that this is a great advantage for students since you do get immersed in our culture and language and, if you understand the way we speak, you will understand any other accents.
- Volunteering. Arcadia in Granada offers you the opportunity to take part in different volunteering activities in which you can help, learn, and teach at the same time. We appreciate our students’ interest and collaboration since we promote a diverse and enriching culture. If you want to do something special which is not in the program, we will help you to find it!
- Housing. Living abroad is not always easy. For that reason, it is important to have a place where you can feel like home. Our program offers you two housing options: homestay or apartment. If you want to be fully immersed in our culture, homestays are the best option. You can live with a Spanish family and have your own room or share it with another Arcadia student. If you are more independent, apartments are the best option. You can share the apartment with other college students from Spain or Europe and you will have your own bedroom. Both options are available each semester and families and housing agencies are selected following very strict quality standards to make sure that you feel comfortable and safe while staying here.
- Activities, excursions and trips. In our program, you can participate in different activities and events. If you like cooking, hiking, history, art, and even literature, Granada has a lot to offer. We encourage our students to participate in those activities that you do like and we always try to adapt our program to our students’ preferences. Would you like to visit Madrid, Toledo, Barcelona, and even Morocco? If so, come and sign up! Most activities and events are part of the Arcadia program and you can have a look at them before coming to Spain.
- LGBTQI+. Our city is a LGBTQI+-friendly destination in Europe thanks to the different associations, organizations, bars, restaurants, clubs, and the whole society who promote equity, respect, and diversity. Furthermore, the Granada LGBT Pride Festival is one of the most well-known celebrations in our country. Spain is a very open-minded country and our rights and freedom are confirmed as stated in Section 14 of the Spanish Constitution:
Section 14. Spaniards are equal before the law and may not in any way be discriminated against on account of birth, race, sex, religion, opinion or any other personal or social condition or circumstance.
- Arcadia in Granada staff. Our Arcadia program started in Granada more than fifteen years ago. Our experience is a key factor since we know the city and how a good program must be developed. It is true that the Arcadia Center in Granada is one of the smallest centers around the world but, as we always say, we are a large family. Our students are part of our daily life and sharing our time with you is what we do best. We may look busy with administrative issues, reservations, orientation sessions, or other tasks, but you are always our priority. Helping you and seeing how this experience changes your life is completely worth it.
We hope these reasons help you make the best decision possible. It will be a pleasure to answer any questions that you may have and meet you in Granada. Feeling like home is essential and we will do our best to make sure that Granada is your home away from home. We may be a small program in size but closeness and empathy make it unique!
¿Te lo vas a perder? ¡Te esperamos! :)