About The College of Global Studies, Arcadia University
The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University (based in Philadelphia, PA, USA), one of the largest campus-based international study programs in the United States, serves about 3,000 students each year from nearly 250 colleges and universities around the country. Named the nation’s #1 university for undergraduate student participation in study abroad by the Institute of International Education’s Open Doors Report for seven years in a row (2010-2016), Arcadia has more than 130 programs in 12 countries around the world.
The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University prepares students for lives of informed contribution in a rapidly changing global society. Through strategic institutional partnerships and innovative academic, experiential, and co-curricular programming expressed in diverse and challenging global contexts, students learn to think critically, observe skillfully, reflect thoughtfully, and participate meaningfully.
About the Role
Working with the Regional Director of Mediterranean Programs and the Vice-President of the College, the Resident Director builds on the College’s over twenty years of US education-abroad programming in Italy by creating and sourcing experience-rich and contextualized learning in and around Italy’s deep and complex cultural landscape. The Director also maintains and deepens working relationships with institutions in-country develops the Rome Center’s own curriculum, maintains and enriches, the partnership with Roma Tre University through the enrollment of their students on the program and the involvement of their professors at every opportunity, and contributes to the creation of cohort and custom programs throughout the year.
The College of Global Studies’ programs in Italy currently support an average of 250-300 students and employ 5 staff and 8 faculty members.
Location: Rome based, with periodic travel to Florence, Perugia and Lecce
Salary Information: Commensurate with experience; applicants should submit their salary requirements with the application
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Regional Director, provide vision, creativity, team leadership and oversight for the academic programs and operations of the Rome Center and programs throughout Italy. This includes: working closely with on-site staff and faculty; developing and maintaining excellent relationships with partners; and ensuring a quality educational experience for students participating in TCGS programs in Rome and Italy.
- Oversee the successful running of all programs and activities in Italy, including but not limited to semester programs, short-term and custom programs, and non-credit activities and visits.
- Exercise final authority over the budget and finances of the Center and its programs. The Director works with his/her finance team to establish, monitor, and reconcile program fees and budgets for the Center and the programs under his/her purview.
- Provide mentorship, offers guidance, and designs professional development opportunities for staff and faculty.
- Explore and encourage opportunities for community engagement in every site and through every aspect of the program;
- In collaboration with the Regional Director and TCGS colleagues, identify new academic and community partners, explore opportunities for deepening existing partnerships, and support existing academic and community relationships.
- In collaboration with the Director of Health, Safety and Security and his/her team and the Director of Student Life and Support Services, respond to real and perceived emergencies in a focused, calm and professional manner
- Approach complex problem-solving by prioritizing student learning and wellness.
- The Director is expected to be on call after hours for all serious emergencies and for standard emergencies which cannot be handled by the on-call staff.
- In addition to regular site visits and attending orientations, s/he is expected to travel within the region, as needed, for risk assessment, management of serious student issues, and to the US or elsewhere for periodical program development and planning, and/or staff training.
- The Director is expected to work evenings, weekends and holidays as programs and events require.
- Master’s degree required.
- Permission to work in Italy/Europe.
- Demonstrated knowledge and appreciation of Rome and Italy, its culture, its language and its complexities.
- A minimum of 6 years of demonstrated experience in international education, including administration program design, program development and operations.
- Excellent communication skills in both English and Italian, including written communication and public speaking.
- Proven management experience including staff oversight and team-building, budgeting and strategic planning
- Professional experience in higher education preferred
- Extensive knowledge of international education, particularly the US education abroad field, and international education’s professional associations, trends and research
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism and integrity
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment that requires multi-tasking and workload prioritization
- Ability and willingness to pivot priorities and reorganize calmly at any given time when emergencies arise
- Skilled at working in an environment that requires significant collaboration and collegiality
- Ability and willingness to teach.
- Supremely collegial work environment of global colleagues pursuing mission-driven work
- Opportunity to deliver student learning in the international context with one of the top campus-based international study programs in the United States
- Opportunity to work creatively with a dedicated and talented team and deliver Italy-rooted, engaged, experiential learning experiences to eager students
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a CV, a cover letter which addresses the requirements of the position, and a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants may submit their salary requirements with their application. Application review will begin October 10th and the position will remain open until filled.