As a participant on an Arcadia program, you are guaranteed accommodation. Our priority is to provide a safe, clean, cost-effective and convenient place for you to live, while offering you every opportunity to explore the local culture and community.
- Most student residences in South Africa feature self-catered, apartment-style living with single, twin or triple bedrooms and shared kitchens, living and bathroom facilities.
- Your program fee does not include meals or meal plans but you’ll be within easy reach of food stores and amenities. Please check out our fees and budget estimates for additional expenses.
- Where possible we will place you with local students. If you want to submit a roommate request, we will need it from both you and your friend in writing. While we will do our best to accommodate your request, we cannot guarantee roommate requests.
- It is very common to live in mixed-gender housing in South Africa. Your room will be single-gender, though shared common spaces can be mixed-gender. If you would prefer single-gender housing, please note this on your Housing Form and be sure to speak with your Program Manager to find out what is available on your program.
- South Africa is an environmentally friendly country and air-conditioning and central heating are not standard in a typical residence. Remember that it will take some time to adjust to the climate.
- You should typically expect a 15-30 minute commute from your housing to your program site. You may need to take a university shuttle, or Arcadia University-provided transportation, depending on your program.
- Internet access will vary according to your specific program accommodation.
- Bed linens are generally not provided. Your Program Manager can provide specifics.
- You’ll have your accommodation throughout your semester, including breaks.
- We will do our best to honor your housing preferences, however we cannot guarantee any specific housing assignments.
- Since accommodation considerations can vary, we have to reserve our right to change accommodation options at any time.
If you have any special needs regarding your accommodation – dietary, medical, physical – please let us know when applying. Any information received will be treated as confidential and only shared with individuals involved in your housing placement.
Accommodation Deadlines By Semester:
- Semester I (February to June): December 1
- Semester II (July to November): April 30
- Summer Programs: May 1
- Specific program accommodation details are outlined on each program page.
- Arcadia University Housing Policy is detailed in our Student Handbook.