We try to make your travel overseas as easy and affordable as possible. Please note that you must physically attend all of your Arcadia orientation which begins on the posted program arrival date. To get yourself there on-time, you’ll have many travel aspects to consider, including obtaining your Visa.
- You’ll have to check in to orientation by the scheduled time on your program start date.
- If you arrive at the airport on the scheduled arrival date at the scheduled time, you will be eligible for group transportation from the airport to your orientation accommodation.
- After orientation is over, the group flight will include an internal flight to your program location (if applicable).
- If you want to travel before or after your program dates, you will have to organize your own transportation and accommodation for that period. Please also check the visa requirements before you book.
- Environmental Studies summer program (EECS): Based on the unique program travel logistics, we strongly encourage you to book the group flights through Student Universe.
- Don’t forget to complete the Online Flight Form once you have booked.
Booking your flight
Arcadia has organized a group flight for New Zealand students departing from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). This flight and domestic flights to LA can be booked through Student Universe. Group flights are met by the Arcadia in-country staff. Students who book on the group flight will be provided transportation to and from the airport to their orientation venue and program housing. To book your travel, please visit Student Universe/Arcadia and choose your program.
If you opt to travel to New Zealand independently (not on the group flight), please keep the following in mind:
- Canterbury, Otago & Victoria students: Be sure to book the proper internal domestic flight that will take you to your program destination after orientation. Refer to the group flight itinerary at the Student Universe/Arcadia website for the domestic flight information for your program destination.
- It is important that you plan to either arrive before the group flight or at approximately the same time. Orientation officially begins at the orientation venue at 9:00 am on the day of the group flight arrival. If you do not meet the group at the airport, you must ensure that you arrive at the venue for orientation by 9:00 am.
- If you plan to arrive in Auckland before the group arrival day, all transportation and accommodation arrangements are your responsibility. Plan to meet the Arcadia staff at the orientation venue at 9:00 am on the day of orientation.
- If you are arriving at approximately the same time as the group flight or a few hours before, plan to wait at the airport and catch a ride into town with Arcadia transport.
- Details about the orientation venue will be sent by email to students approximately two weeks prior to departure in a travel guide.
Vacation Travel Tips
- Wait until you are in-country to make travel plans for during your program so you know your class schedule and assessment dates.
- Choose a good guidebook such as those from Let's Go or Lonely Planet. You can also check online sources, maps and street views for country background, attractions, locally filmed movies, local author books to read etc.
- Join the Youth Hostel Association in the U.S. – Youth Hostels are inexpensive and fun student accommodation found around the world: For more visit: Hostelling International USA.
- Check out our FAQs for more tips on what to pack.