We try to make your travel overseas as easy and affordable as possible. To get yourself there on-time, you’ll have many travel aspects to consider. If you are studying in the Republic of Ireland, you will need to follow the Irish Immigration Process after orientation; if you are studying in Northern Ireland you will have to obtain a UK Visa.
- Arcadia staff will be at the Dublin airport from 6:00 am until 10:00 am on the scheduled arrival date. If you arrive in Ireland on the scheduled arrival date and time you will be eligible for group transportation from the airport to your orientation accommodation. We recommend that you book a flight that arrives at Dublin airport by 8:30 am to give you enough time to meet the staff.
- Final transportation will depart at 10:00 am. In the event that you miss the group transportation for any reason, you will need to proceed to your orientation accommodation independently and at your own expense. Our staff will provide you with detailed arrival instructions to do this.
- You must check in to orientation by 12:00 pm on your program start date, regardless of when you arrive in-country. Once orientation is completed, we will provide you with transportation to your host institution (if applicable).
- Don’t forget to complete the Online Flight Form once you have booked.
- If you plan to arrive prior to the scheduled arrival date listed on your program calendar, you can stay at the orientation accommodation the night before orientation starts for free. Check-in time is 2:30 pm. Please note that if you decide to arrive before the scheduled arrival date, you will not be eligible for the Arcadia airport transfer.
- If you choose to arrive more than one day early, all accommodation arrangements will be your responsibility. Similarly, transportation and accommodation costs will be your responsibility should you choose to stay in Ireland after the program concludes.
Booking your flight
You are responsible for arranging and purchasing your own flight. Please Note: If you want to travel before or after your program dates please check your visa requirements.
If you're studying abroad in Northern Ireland, your Arcadia orientation is in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. It is absolutely essential, however, that you travel first to a United Kingdom port of entry (London, Belfast, Edinburgh, etc.,) before traveling to Dublin for orientation. You will not be able to obtain proper immigration clearances if you travel directly to the Republic of Ireland from the USA. Failure to secure the proper passport stamp will affect your ability to remain in-country for the duration of your time abroad.
We don’t arrange group flights but we recommend you book through our travel provider: Student Universe to avail of discounted student fares on designated group flights, on suggested available flights, or on individual student bookings. In addition, Student Universe staff are very familiar with our programs and offer date change flexibility. To book your travel, please visit Student Universe/Arcadia and choose your appropriate country and program.
Vacation Travel Tips
- Wait until you are in-country to make travel plans for during your program so you know your class schedule and assessment dates.
- Choose a good guidebook such as those from Lets Go or Lonely Planet. You can also check online sources, maps and street views for country background, attractions, locally filmed movies, local author books to read etc.
- Research rail passes and student discount opportunities that will save you a lot of money on transport in Britain and Europe and entry fees, eg. BritRail Pass, BritRail Youth Pass, Eurailpass. Some such passes must be purchased in the U.S. and can be insured.
- Join the Youth Hostel Association in the U.S. – Youth Hostels are inexpensive and fun student accommodation found around the world. For more information visit: Hostelling International USA.
- Check out our FAQs for more tips on what to pack.