We try to make your travel overseas as easy and affordable as possible. Please note that you must physically attend all of your Arcadia orientation, which begins on the posted program arrival date. To get yourself there on-time, you’ll have many travel aspects to consider. If you are studying in the Republic of Ireland, you will need to follow the Irish Immigration Process; if you are studying in Northern Ireland you will have to obtain a UK Visa.
- You’ll have to check in to orientation at the pre-determined time on your program start date. Once completed, we will provide you with transportation to your host institution.
- If you arrive in Ireland on the scheduled arrival date and time you will be eligible for group transportation from the airport to your orientation accommodation. If you choose to arrive before your program start date, you will have to organize your own transportation and accommodation for that period.
- Don’t forget to complete the Online Flight Form once you have booked.
- If you plan to arrive prior to the scheduled arrival date listed on your program calendar, you are welcome to stay at the orientation accommodation site the night before Orientation starts for free. Check-in time is 2:30 p.m., however you may be able to check in earlier if your room is ready. Please note that if you decide to arrive before the scheduled day of arrival, you will not be eligible for the Arcadia airport transfer.
- Book a flight that arrives in Dublin prior to 8:30 a.m. on the scheduled arrival date for your program. Students arriving by 8:30 a.m. will be met at the Dublin Airport (DUB) Arrivals Halls by Arcadia staff and transported to the orientation accommodation.
- You are expected to meet the Arcadia staff at 12:00 pm (noon) at the orientation venue on the scheduled day of arrival, regardless of how you travel into the city.
- You will be sent, via email, times and transportation information with plenty of time to book your travel arrangements.
Booking your flight
You are responsible for arranging and purchasing your own flight. Please Note: If you want to travel before or after your program dates please check your visa requirements. If you're studying abroad in Northern Ireland, your Arcadia orientation in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. It is absolutely essential, however, that you travel first to a United Kingdom port of entry (London, Belfast, Edinburgh, etc.,) before travelling to Dublin for orientation. You will not be able to obtain proper immigration clearances if you travel directly to the Republic of Ireland from the USA. Failure to secure the proper passport stamp will affect your ability to remain in-country for the duration of your time abroad.
We don’t arrange group flights but we recommend you book through our travel provider: Student Universe to avail of discounted student fares on designated group flights, on suggested available flights, or on individual student bookings. In addition, Student Universe staff are very familiar with our programs and offer date change flexibility. To book your travel, please visit Student Universe/Arcadia and choose your appropriate country and program.
Vacation Travel Tips
- Wait until you are in-country to make travel plans for during your program so you know your class schedule and assessment dates.
- Choose a good guidebook such as those from Lets Go or Lonely Planet. You can also check online sources, maps and street views for country background, attractions, locally filmed movies, local author books to read etc.
- Research rail passes and student discount opportunities that will save you a lot of money on transport in Britain and Europe and entry fees, eg. BritRail Pass, BritRail Youth Pass, Eurailpass. Some such passes must be purchased in the U.S. and can be insured.
- Join the Youth Hostel Association in the U.S. – Youth Hostels are inexpensive and fun student accommodation found around the world. For more information visit: Hostelling International USA.
- Check out our FAQs for more tips on what to pack.