Study abroad in Germany - Visas

Do you need a visa?

If you are an American citizen, you will NOT need a visa to study in Germany for the summer. If you are of any other nationality, please check with your Program Manager to determine if you need to obtain a visa prior to arrival in Germany.

STEP 1: Acquiring a Passport

You must possess a valid passport. If you do not have a passport, please begin the process of securing one immediately.

If you already have a passport, please check to see that it has not expired. Your passport should be valid for the duration of your program and for an additional six months.  

STEP 2: Determine your German Consulate General

You will need to apply for your student visa from a German Consulate General representing the jurisdiction where (1) you live at a permanent address; or (2) where you attend college.

A list of German Consulate General offices and their addresses can be found at this link. From this site you will be able to link to any consulate office in the U.S.

STEP 3: Submitting Your Application to the Consulate

To apply for a student visa, you will need to present the following documents:

  • Two fully completed visa application forms - The application form is typically available on your consulate's website.
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs to attach to your application.
  • Valid national passport and two copies of the data page - When you apply for your German Study Visa, you will need to submit your passport along with the rest of your application. The consulate will keep your passport during the application period and then place the visa on a blank page in your passport after it is approved. (Strict requirements for passports/travel documents – please check
  • For non-U.S. citizens: valid U.S. alien registration card or valid U.S. resident visa type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, O, R (original + two copies) 
  • Original letter of acceptance from University of Bonn and from The College of Global Studies (original + two copies) - This document serves as verification that the student's tuition and housing have been paid for. It also confirms the date of the program. This form will be sent to you from The College of Global Studies. 
  • Proof of Health Insurance (original + two copies) - The document will be provided to you by The College of Global Studies.
  • Evidence of Savings - You must prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while in Germany. They would like to see that you have approximately 650 € per month you will stay in the country. You can show this information by providing an original bank statement of letter (Original + 2 Copies). 
    If you are being financially supported by someone else (i.e. a family member) then you must obtain an Affidavit of Support issued by a German Aliens'' Office or German Consulate/ Embassy (Original + 2 Copies).
  • Visa fee - You will need to pay this fee of 60 € in U.S. dollars (in cash or as money order). Please note that the fee varies according to the current exchange rate.
  • Proof of residence in the consular jurisdiction - This can be a drivers license, school ID and/or a utility bill in your name.

Please note that some consulates may require you to make an appoint to present your visa application. Refer to your consulates website to verify their application process.