As a participant on an Arcadia program, you are guaranteed accommodation. Our priority is to provide a safe, clean, cost-effective and convenient place for you to live, while offering you every opportunity to explore the local culture and community.
- You will be housed throughout the greater Paris area, should expect a commute to campus on public transportation and will be responsible for all associated costs.
- France is an environmentally friendly country and air-conditioning is not standard in a typical residence. If your housing does not feature this amenity, remember that it will take some time to adjust to the climate
- Every room is different and unique and while Arcadia ensures that all rooms satisfy general standards, there is no way to guarantee uniformity of rooms, room sizes, distance from your university, furnishings or facilities.
- Internet access will vary depending upon your housing. However, internet access is available through Arcadia’s study center, public parks and internet cafés.
- Since accommodation considerations can vary, we have to reserve our right to change accommodation options at any time.
- Housing between semesters is not included. If you are an academic year student and plan to stay in Paris over the winter holiday, please discuss this with your Program Manager.
- Arcadia University Housing Policy is detailed in our Student Handbook.
In Paris you have two options for your accommodation. Your first option is to live in a residence room. Your second option is to do a homestay (for an additional fee), which is a wonderful way to immerse yourself in local daily life by living in the home of a local family.
Fully furnished residence rooms are located in a residential neighborhood just outside the boundary marking the old walls of central Paris. This option is ideal if you prefer the independence of apartment living and prefer to cook your own meals.
- Standard residence rooms are shared. If you are housed in a single room, you will be charged an additional fee.
- All rooms are equipped with a kitchenette (microwave and stove for cooking), basic cooking utensils, and a private bathroom and shower.
- Internet is generally available in the residences. In most cases, wireless is available in the lobby, and rooms have access via a cable (one per room).
- Restaurants, a grocery store and various other shops are all within walking distance.
- Like most Parisians, you will rely on the metro to get around the city and commute to classes.
We strongly encourage you to consider the homestay option in order to fully immerse yourself in French culture.
- If you participate in a homestay, you will receive breakfast and dinner daily. This is a great opportunity to engage in discussions with your family which will help you to improve your French language skills and knowledge of French culture.
- All rooms are singles, and you should be prepared to use public phones and computer facilities, as access to internet and phone lines within the French family households is limited if available.
- If you are placed in the homestay, you will be charged an additional fee to cover the cost of meals provided by the family.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR SEMESTER AND ACADEMIC-YEAR STUDENTS: Due to changes in the visa application process, students are now required to show proof of accommodation (including the exact address of that accommodation) when applying for a student visa. If you are considering opting out of Arcadia housing, you must be able to secure accommodation for the semester or year 2-3 months prior to your arrival in Paris. If you choose Arcadia housing (either residence or homestay), you will be issued this proof once housing assignments are made. Student visas are not required for U.S. citizens on the summer program.
We encourage you to take advantage of the accommodation provided by Arcadia. If you wish to decline these options and make your own arrangements, you need to submit a written request as soon as possible. Your Program Manager can talk you through your options.
If you have any special needs regarding your accommodation – dietary, medical, physical – please let us know when applying. Any information received will be treated as confidential and only shared with individuals involved in your housing placement.