As a participant on an Arcadia program, you are guaranteed accommodation. Our priority is to provide a safe, clean, cost-effective and convenient place for you to live, while offering you every opportunity to explore the local culture and community.
- Most student residences in Australia feature self-catered, apartment-style living with single, twin or triple bedrooms and shared kitchens, living and bathroom facilities or residential colleges (dorm-style halls).
- Your program fee does not include meals or meal plans but you’ll be within easy reach of food stores and amenities. Please check out our fees and budget estimates for additional expenses.
- Where possible we will place you with local students. If you want to submit a roommate request we will need it from both you and your friend in writing. While we will do our best to accommodate your request, we cannot guarantee roommate requests.
- It is very common to live in mixed-gender housing in Australia. Your room will be single-gender, though shared common spaces can be mixed-gender. If you would prefer single-gender housing, please note this on your Housing Form and be sure to speak with your Program Manager to find out what is available on your program.
- Australia is an environmentally friendly country and air-conditioning and central heating are not standard in a typical residence.
- If your housing venue does not provide bed linens, they will be able to direct you accordingly after you arrive.
- Internet access will vary according to your specific program accommodation.
- Housing is typically organized on a first come, first served basis. If you have a request for one particular type of housing over another, we recommend you submit your housing form as soon as possible.
- We will do our best to honor your housing preferences, however we cannot guarantee any specific housing assignments.
- Since accommodation considerations can vary, we have to reserve our right to change accommodation options at any time.
We encourage you to take advantage of the accommodation provided by Arcadia or by your Australian institution. If you wish to decline these options and make your own arrangements, you must submit a written request. Your Program Manager can talk you through your options.
If you have any special needs regarding your accommodation – dietary, medical, physical – please let us know when applying. Any information received will be treated as confidential and only shared with individuals involved in your housing placement.
Accommodation Deadlines By Semester:
- Semester 1 (US Spring): November 15
- Semester 2 (US Fall): March 15
- Bond University (January): October 20
- Bond University (September): June 30
- Summer Programs: March 15
- Specific program accommodation details are outlined on each program page.
- Arcadia University Housing Policy is detailed in our Student Handbook.
Residential Colleges and Halls
When researching Australian Housing please note that a dorm style accommodation facility is referred to as a ‘College’; for example, Emmanuel College and University College are on-campus dorm style accommodation facilities within their respective Universities.
Many colleges provide a unique living community – complete with dining halls, tutoring programs, sports teams and many other services, activities and clubs. A common misconception among American study abroad students is that such halls are strictly religious institutions – they are not but some may offer religious services. Moreover, colleges are usually multi-cultural in composition and value diversity.
Student Apartments and Flats
Student apartments or flats – whether on- or off-campus – afford a high degree of independence. You will typically live with other American or international students and have access to shared kitchen facilities. In most cases, you will prepare your own meals and should be prepared for a commute to campus.